Although Horizon Wars and Tommorow's Wars have nothing but the editor and book production value, reading the recently bought former inspired me to (beside buying a 6mm British Battlegroup) go back at the later to look at some miniature porn!
It's not the first time I think about gaming in that universe: I already wrote down some thoughts about which infantry models to use for the Republic of Arden and for the Democratic People Republic of Glory...
|Brazilian built grav tanks are starting to equip select People's Republic Guard formation (the one that didn't displease Dear Leader). All pictures (except the Darghaur hereunder) from their manufacturer website.|
- The world is divide in two blocks:
- The Organisation of Progressive States (OPS) made by Australia, Canada, the "Central African Union", Japan, Mexico, the European Union, New Zealand, Russia and the United States;
- The New Economic Union founded by Brazil as a counter-weight to the "American-led" OPS includes most South American Nations, India, Pakistan and Serbia;
- Most flavour text and pictures focuses on the events on Glory, a garden world balkanised in several different nations, notably:
- The Republic of Arden, a "modern and stable" country with close ties to France and OPS;
- The Democratic People Republic of Glory: an "iron-clad dictatorship" (North Korea in spaaaaace!) supported by NEU;
- Both nations are regularly at war with each other, Arden getting direct support from the French Foreign Legion and USMC, while the DPRG gets technology and equipment from NEU, turning the thing into a very Vietnam War-like proxy-cluster-fuck between OPS and NEU;
- The "By Dagger and Talon" supplement (covering aliens and special forces) sees the arrival on Glory of Crusties refugees (à la District 9) with fearsome Darghaur in hot pursuit... More mayhem ensues!
|A "ten" (squad) of Darghaur (by Ground Zero Games), beautifully painted by Einar Olafson! Picture from his blog.|
- People's Republic Guard units with high tech gear: Khurasan Miniatures "Nova Respublik Crimson Army", which are also available in 6mm;
- People's Republic Army regulars: KM "ultra-modern" Korean People's Army Ground Force (with their Type 68 painted something more Sci Fi than bare steel and wood and called AK-400 Advance Combat Rifle or someting), no 6mm modern NK that I know of, but GHQ Modern (read "Cold War") Russians should do the trick;
- Irregular units: 15mm Battlefront "Tour of Duty" Local Forces become 6mm GHQ Viet Cong...
|A squad of People's Republic Guard with advanced armour and combat rifles.|
- Tech level 1 (Tomorrow's War has 3 TL) home-grown vehicles used by reserve and militia forces;
- Tech level 2 South African (I can't find anything about South Africa political alignment in the book, but South Africa based Interarms appear to be a major weapons source for minor nations of both blocks) built or licenced vehicles forming the bulk of DPRG inventory;
- Tech level 2 (including some grav platforms) Brazilian (the source of most NEU countries first line equipment) vehicles produced in small numbers.
- Low tech localy produced vehicles: BM Neo-Soviet vehicles, I'm not too found of the look of most of that range with one notable exception, the M113-looking Kunitsa APC and its Mortar Carrier variant;
- Mid tech South African imports: BM South African vehicles;
- High tech Brazilian grav imports: no "official" Brazilians in BM ranges, but I'll go with the Indonesian which look all grav and high tech without the "zortiness" of the PacFed vehicles (which, for the record, I own and I love), BM other grav range!
|Less trusted units are equipped with license-built Interarms South Africa vehicles. On this picture, a couple of heavy tanks followed by two heavy APC.|
- Light Infantry: starting with an "average" force, I'll call my battlegroup People's Army and use GHQ Cold War Russians;
- Mobile Infantry: Cold War Russians with BM South African Hippo Heavy Truck or Indonesian Kijang Armoured grav truck (grav option);
- Special Forces: GHQ Viet-Cong (as insurgents/SF in disguise) or KM Nova Respublik (as SF with shinier toys than the regulars);
- Light Cav: BM South African Ratel Medium Tank or BM Indonesian Bhima Armoured Car (grav option);
- Heavy Cav: BM South African Rhino Heavy Tank or BM Indonesian Suharto MBT (grav option);
- Light Arty: Cold War Russians with mortars;
- Armoured Arty: BM South African SPG or Indonesian Slamet SPG or Sibayak MRL (grav options);
- Recon: BM South African Buffel Light APC with a couple of Cold War Russians arty observers;
- Airframes: BM Indonesian Pedang Interceptor and Kampak Attack Fighter (from their Squadron Commander range);
|Brazilian build interceptor and attack fighter, the pride and joy of the People's Republic Aerospace Force!|
|DPRG is negociating with NEU trying to get access to high tech power armour to equip its most thrusted Guard units.|