Unless you've spent the last few months on planet 28mm, you all know Critical Mass Games ran a Kickstarter last March in order to expend one of its Mercs lines, the ZAS. Although they're not my favourite of their Mercs (give me the Astagar or Ygs), I pledged £30 for the Early Bird ZAS Company Commander (and then some more for the stretch goals Mechas and VTOLs, more on those to follow any time soon).
|Inventory of the Company Commander Pledge|
And I got my package earlier this week (later than some due to the mechas and VTOLs)... So, what's in the box?
- Company Commander and Platoon Leader Elements (2)
|Upper row, left to right: Medic, Platoon Leader, Comms Guy, Company Commander, Drones bodies.|
Lower row, the same three guys for the second platoon and two weapons options for the drones
(either a pair of drum fed slugger or a pair of energy weapons)
- Infantry Platoons (2)
|Each platoon is made of 4 identical sections (meaning with 2 platoons, I've got 8 of each of those poses).|
Left to right on each row: a Squad Leader, a SAW (I think) guy, 3 Troopers (one of them kneeling) and a Grenade Launcher guy...
- Special Troopers (6)
|6 different poses for those guys! Left to right top row: Missile Launcher guy, Laser or Plasma (not sure) guy and SAW guy. Bottom row: Flamer guy, Plasma or Laser guy (the other one) and Sniper.|
- Gatling Guns (3)
|Top to bottom: tripods, Gatling Guns and 3 pairs of one "praying"/"firing a .50 cal" gunner and one binocular guy.|
- Energy Cannons (3)
|Same tripods, different gun, same crew.|
- Rocket Assisted Mortars (3)
|Tripods, mortars and 2 pairs of a suitcase guy and a tablet guy (those two have a nice potential to be something else: medic and ECM guy, anyone?)|
- Objective Markers (2) and Supply Containers (2)
|Two comms dishes objectives (one dry mounted one in parts) and two containers.|
The two upper parts of the dish fits ARC Fleet Tanks and APC (and I assume other CMG vehicles).
The two containers came in slightly damaged...
So what do I think?
- Nice sculpts, nothing wrong here.
- Lost of flashes and two slightly broken containers but nothing major.
- Although I knew what I was getting, I feel a whole company lacks a bit of variety in poses. A alternate infantry squad or at least a couple alternate leaders would have permitted a lot more variety in squads.
- Although it's nice to have that many special weapons, most of them look very similar. I think I'd rather have less different ones (let's say missile, sniper and one SAW-sized weapon) and either two poses for each or even a single pose for each and see the sculpting/moulding budget freed used for more variety in the infantry squads.
- Good value deal: 90 figs (and 4 pieces of scatter terrain) for £30 (postage included)